Bronze death mask of Stalin sold in Britain
London: A bronze cast from Joseph Stalin`s
death mask, one of only 12 made after the Soviet dictator`s death in 1953, was sold in Britain Wednesday for GBP 4,400 (USD 6,860), the auction house said.
The mask and accompanying bronze casts of Stalin`s hands
-- the left one withered -- had been estimated to sell at Between GBP3,000 and GBP5,000. The final price of GBP4,400 includes the buyer`s premium, Mullock`s auctioneers said.
"It`s an interesting and unusual item. There were lots of
telephone bids and Internet interest," said Richard
Westwood-Brookes, historical documents expert at Mullock`s,
adding that it went to a private telephone bidder in Britain.
Originally brought to the West by art dealer James Birch,
who purchased it in Moscow in 1990, the bronze death mask
shows Stalin`s hair swept back from his forehead and clearly
outlines his famous moustache.
Ten of the bronzes made after the dictator`s death are
thought to be in Russia, with the 11th held in a private
collection in London following its sale at Sotheby`s auction
house in the early 1990s, Westwood-Brookes said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion