Brother of Abu Sayyaf leader killed in Philippines
Zamboanga: Police commandos
clashed with al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf militants in the
southern Philippines on Sunday, killing one and wounding several
Members of the Special Action Force launched the
attack in a remote village on Jolo island after intelligence
reports pinpointed the whereabouts of the gunmen, provincial
police chief Senior Superintendent Joseph Ramac said.
"Special Action Force commandos clashed with the Abu
Sayyaf and killed Gafur Jumdail in the village of Lapa," Ramac
said, adding that several other militants were also believed
wounded but escaped.
The slain militant was a brother of Abu Jumdail, one
of the Abu Sayyaf`s top operatives who has had a USD 100,000
bounty put on his head by the United States.
Jumdail`s Abu Sayyaf unit was believed to be
responsible for the abduction of a local television news crew
in 2008, who were freed days after reportedly paying a ransom.
The group was also blamed for last year`s ambush on a
police convoy in which the island`s police chief and several
The Abu Sayyaf is a small gang of Islamic militants
blamed for the country`s worst terrorist attacks, including a
ferry bombing that left over 100 dead on Manila Bay in 2004.
It is also on the US government`s list of wanted
foreign terrorist organisations, after two Americans seized
along with a group of tourists in 2002 were killed in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video