Brother wanted to `defend Islam`, says Boston bomber Dzhokhar
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: In what hints at the motive behind the deadly Boston bombings, the surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators that the killed suspect and his elder brother Tamerlan wanted to “defend Islam from attacks”, reports said Tuesday.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators that there were no international groups involved in assisting or planning the attack and that he and his elder brother acted alone in staging the deadly attack, the CNN reported.
Dzhokhar who was captured on Friday is critically wounded and responding to the investigators in writing as he can’t speak due to a throat injury.
Dzhokhar is said to have told the investigators his elder brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev who was killed while being chased by the police on Thursday, was the leader in the Boston attacks.
"Preliminary interviews with Tsarnaev indicate the two brothers fit the classification of self-radicalized jihadists," the CNN quoted a government official as saying.
The investigators have decided to question the widow of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who has said that she knew nothing about the attack.
The younger Tsarnaev, 19, could face the death penalty after being charged Monday for his alleged role in the attacks that left three people dead and 200 wounded.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arraigned in his hospital bed on charges of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction, and malicious destruction of property by means of deadly explosives, the US Department of Justice said.
The charges Monday, a week on from the twin marathon bombings, as Americans marked the time the bombs went off with a moment of silence observed across the nation, from the White House to the New York Stock Exchange.
If Tsarnaev, a naturalized US citizen of Chechen descent, is convicted of the federal charges, he faces time behind bars -- or even the death penalty.
With AFP Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened