Brother wanted to `defend Islam`, says Boston bomber Dzhokhar
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: In what hints at the motive behind the deadly Boston bombings, the surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators that the killed suspect and his elder brother Tamerlan wanted to “defend Islam from attacks”, reports said Tuesday.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators that there were no international groups involved in assisting or planning the attack and that he and his elder brother acted alone in staging the deadly attack, the CNN reported.
Dzhokhar who was captured on Friday is critically wounded and responding to the investigators in writing as he can’t speak due to a throat injury.
Dzhokhar is said to have told the investigators his elder brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev who was killed while being chased by the police on Thursday, was the leader in the Boston attacks.
"Preliminary interviews with Tsarnaev indicate the two brothers fit the classification of self-radicalized jihadists," the CNN quoted a government official as saying.
The investigators have decided to question the widow of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who has said that she knew nothing about the attack.
The younger Tsarnaev, 19, could face the death penalty after being charged Monday for his alleged role in the attacks that left three people dead and 200 wounded.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arraigned in his hospital bed on charges of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction, and malicious destruction of property by means of deadly explosives, the US Department of Justice said.
The charges Monday, a week on from the twin marathon bombings, as Americans marked the time the bombs went off with a moment of silence observed across the nation, from the White House to the New York Stock Exchange.
If Tsarnaev, a naturalized US citizen of Chechen descent, is convicted of the federal charges, he faces time behind bars -- or even the death penalty.
With AFP Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- WATCH: On this day in 1983, Kapil Dev's India were crowned world champion
- `Narasimha Rao used IB to keep an eye on Sonia Gandhi after Babri Masjid demolition`
- Iceland elects new president in vote eclipsed by Euros, Brexit
- We don't need people like Mukhtar Ansari in party: Akhilesh Yadav
- Talent is unstoppable! Alia Bhatt aspires for Hollywood