Brother wanted to `defend Islam`, says Boston bomber Dzhokhar
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: In what hints at the motive behind the deadly Boston bombings, the surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators that the killed suspect and his elder brother Tamerlan wanted to “defend Islam from attacks”, reports said Tuesday.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators that there were no international groups involved in assisting or planning the attack and that he and his elder brother acted alone in staging the deadly attack, the CNN reported.
Dzhokhar who was captured on Friday is critically wounded and responding to the investigators in writing as he can’t speak due to a throat injury.
Dzhokhar is said to have told the investigators his elder brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev who was killed while being chased by the police on Thursday, was the leader in the Boston attacks.
"Preliminary interviews with Tsarnaev indicate the two brothers fit the classification of self-radicalized jihadists," the CNN quoted a government official as saying.
The investigators have decided to question the widow of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who has said that she knew nothing about the attack.
The younger Tsarnaev, 19, could face the death penalty after being charged Monday for his alleged role in the attacks that left three people dead and 200 wounded.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arraigned in his hospital bed on charges of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction, and malicious destruction of property by means of deadly explosives, the US Department of Justice said.
The charges Monday, a week on from the twin marathon bombings, as Americans marked the time the bombs went off with a moment of silence observed across the nation, from the White House to the New York Stock Exchange.
If Tsarnaev, a naturalized US citizen of Chechen descent, is convicted of the federal charges, he faces time behind bars -- or even the death penalty.
With AFP Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!