Buddhist monks pray for happiness at `unlucky` French chateau
Paris: Buddhist monks Tuesday conducted a benediction ceremony at a French chateau and vineyard whose new Chinese buyer and its former owner are feared dead after a helicopter crash.
Twenty-six members of the Fo Guang Shan monastic order led prayers for "happiness and harmony at the Chateau de la Riviere and its surrounding region," said Xavier Buffo, the managing director of the chateau.
Buffo said such ceremonies were common where "large investments are made in new sites" but added that the prayers were "precipitated" as a result of the tragedy.
Lam Kok, a 46-year-old Chinese tea-and-property magnate, his interpreter and financial advisor, Peng Wang, and James Gregoire, a French entrepreneur who sold the property have been missing since their helicopter crashed into a river on Friday, a day after the sale.
The Chinese tycoon`s wife had been meant to be on the doomed flight, but declined at the last minute, explaining she was afraid of helicopters.
She and her husband head a Hong Kong company, Brilliant, which dealt in upmarket teas, luxury hotels and the construction and management of shopping centres.
On Thursday, they had bought the Chateau de La Riviere and its 65-hectare (160-acre) of vineyards for a reported 30 million euros ($41 million) with the aim of turning it into an elite tea-and wine-tasting retreat with plans to build a hotel nearby.
The property is located in the wine-producing Bordeaux region.
Gregoire had bought the property, the largest in Bordeaux`s Fronsac wine-producing region and close to the prestigious Saint-Emilion domain, in 2003 -- a year after the previous owner died in a plane crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day