Buddhist monks pray for happiness at `unlucky` French chateau
Paris: Buddhist monks Tuesday conducted a benediction ceremony at a French chateau and vineyard whose new Chinese buyer and its former owner are feared dead after a helicopter crash.
Twenty-six members of the Fo Guang Shan monastic order led prayers for "happiness and harmony at the Chateau de la Riviere and its surrounding region," said Xavier Buffo, the managing director of the chateau.
Buffo said such ceremonies were common where "large investments are made in new sites" but added that the prayers were "precipitated" as a result of the tragedy.
Lam Kok, a 46-year-old Chinese tea-and-property magnate, his interpreter and financial advisor, Peng Wang, and James Gregoire, a French entrepreneur who sold the property have been missing since their helicopter crashed into a river on Friday, a day after the sale.
The Chinese tycoon`s wife had been meant to be on the doomed flight, but declined at the last minute, explaining she was afraid of helicopters.
She and her husband head a Hong Kong company, Brilliant, which dealt in upmarket teas, luxury hotels and the construction and management of shopping centres.
On Thursday, they had bought the Chateau de La Riviere and its 65-hectare (160-acre) of vineyards for a reported 30 million euros ($41 million) with the aim of turning it into an elite tea-and wine-tasting retreat with plans to build a hotel nearby.
The property is located in the wine-producing Bordeaux region.
Gregoire had bought the property, the largest in Bordeaux`s Fronsac wine-producing region and close to the prestigious Saint-Emilion domain, in 2003 -- a year after the previous owner died in a plane crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing