Build SCO into effective platform: China President
Beijing: Chinese President Hu Jintao on Thursday called for the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) to be built into an effective platform for increasing international exchange and influence.
Addressing the 12th Meeting of the Council of Heads of Member States of the SCO in Beijing, the President said the SCO member states have common interests and broad consensus on major international and regional affairs.
He added, "We should enhance consultations with international and regional organisations through the platform to safeguard peace, promote development and boost world multipolarisation and democratisation of international relations."
On major international and regional issues, Hu called on all the member states to strengthen coordination, harmonise their views and speak with a concerted voice based on facts and the SCO members` common interests to safeguard world peace and stability and make greater contribution to the common development of all nations.
The SCO was founded in Shanghai on June 15, 2001, and currently has six full members -- China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors