Build SCO into effective platform: China President
Beijing: Chinese President Hu Jintao on Thursday called for the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) to be built into an effective platform for increasing international exchange and influence.
Addressing the 12th Meeting of the Council of Heads of Member States of the SCO in Beijing, the President said the SCO member states have common interests and broad consensus on major international and regional affairs.
He added, "We should enhance consultations with international and regional organisations through the platform to safeguard peace, promote development and boost world multipolarisation and democratisation of international relations."
On major international and regional issues, Hu called on all the member states to strengthen coordination, harmonise their views and speak with a concerted voice based on facts and the SCO members` common interests to safeguard world peace and stability and make greater contribution to the common development of all nations.
The SCO was founded in Shanghai on June 15, 2001, and currently has six full members -- China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed