Build SCO into effective platform: China President
Beijing: Chinese President Hu Jintao on Thursday called for the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) to be built into an effective platform for increasing international exchange and influence.
Addressing the 12th Meeting of the Council of Heads of Member States of the SCO in Beijing, the President said the SCO member states have common interests and broad consensus on major international and regional affairs.
He added, "We should enhance consultations with international and regional organisations through the platform to safeguard peace, promote development and boost world multipolarisation and democratisation of international relations."
On major international and regional issues, Hu called on all the member states to strengthen coordination, harmonise their views and speak with a concerted voice based on facts and the SCO members` common interests to safeguard world peace and stability and make greater contribution to the common development of all nations.
The SCO was founded in Shanghai on June 15, 2001, and currently has six full members -- China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days