Buildings burn in fresh religious clashes in Nigeria
Kano (Nigeria): A pall of smoke rose over
the Nigerian city of Jos today as fresh Christian-Muslim
clashes erupted after weekend violence that killed at least 26
people, officials and residents said.
State authorities placed the city under a 24-hour curfew
as residents said they heard gunshots and had seen smoke
billowing from parts of the city, the capital of Plateau State
in central Nigeria.
An employee at Jos central mosque, where he said bodies
were being taken, told 156 people were killed in the
overnight fighting and 800 wounded, but the number could not
be independently confirmed.
"The mosque is full with the injured and the dead. This
morning we received 156 bodies with about 800 injured,"
Mohammed Shittu at the Jos central mosque told.
Authorities said a curfew put in place at the weekend had
"The government has placed a 24-hour curfew on Jos and
Bukuru (a small town on the fringes of Jos) following the
resumption of violence in parts of the city," the state`s
information commissioner Gregory Yenlong told.
"All residents are hereby directed to stay indoors as
security agents work towards restoring peace," said Yenlong.
All flights to the city were suspended today, airport and
airline sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok