Bulgaria witnesses anti-government protest
Belgrade: More than 16,000 people participated in anti-government protest in the Bulgarian capital Sofia on Saturday, Bulgaria`s Sofia News Agency said.
The protest, under the motto "Red Card for the Cabinet", was organised by the chief opposition Bulgarian Socialist Party led by Sergei Stanishev, a former Bulgarian prime minister.
Opposition supporters flooded central Alexander Batenberg Square near the buildings housing the Government and Parliament, demanding the resignation of the country`s cabinet headed by Boyko Borisov.
The protesters accused the government of failing to address economic and social problems in the country, including rising unemployment and the poor state of the healthcare and education systems.
Borisov replied the protesters on Saturday by saying: "I am sorry I formed a cabinet. I should have let those populists and plunderers to drown completely," the news agency reported.
"If the socialists had formed a second cabinet in 2009, then we would have drowned altogether and become a country like Ireland, Portugal or Greece with their financial problems," he said. "But after that in the end I would have come in power with 90 percent of the following vote and there would have been no opposition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees