Bulgarian nationalists hold anti-Roma rally
Sofia: Hundreds of Bulgarian nationalists
staged a large anti-Roma rally on Sunday as political leaders and
security chiefs sought to douse tensions after a week of
nationwide demonstrations and sporadic violence.
The demonstrators, numbering close to 2,000 according to
a news’ agency estimates, marched through central Sofia carrying the
national flag and chanted nationalist and anti-Roma slogans.
Around 15 people were arrested.
Several hundred supporters of the far-right Ataka party
gathered in front of the presidential palace in T-shirts that
read "I don`t want to live in a Gypsy state" and with a banner
saying "Gypsy criminality is a danger to the state."
Party leader Volen Siderov, who is running for president
on October 23, called for the death penalty to be brought
back, for Roma "ghettos to be dismantled" and for the
formation of militias.
The protest came as the Prime Minister and President,
Boyko Borisov and Georgy Parvanov, convened a meeting of the
national security council to discuss ways of reducing
Parvanov after the talks called on the media and
politicians to "put an end to the language of hatred pushed to
the extreme" and vowed that the government would probe the
finances of people who lived "a life of luxury."
The latest unrest was originally sparked by the killing a
week ago of a youth hit by a van driven by relatives of "King
Kiro", a Roma clan boss in the southern village of Katunitsa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report