Bulgarian nationalists hold anti-Roma rally
Sofia: Hundreds of Bulgarian nationalists
staged a large anti-Roma rally on Sunday as political leaders and
security chiefs sought to douse tensions after a week of
nationwide demonstrations and sporadic violence.
The demonstrators, numbering close to 2,000 according to
a news’ agency estimates, marched through central Sofia carrying the
national flag and chanted nationalist and anti-Roma slogans.
Around 15 people were arrested.
Several hundred supporters of the far-right Ataka party
gathered in front of the presidential palace in T-shirts that
read "I don`t want to live in a Gypsy state" and with a banner
saying "Gypsy criminality is a danger to the state."
Party leader Volen Siderov, who is running for president
on October 23, called for the death penalty to be brought
back, for Roma "ghettos to be dismantled" and for the
formation of militias.
The protest came as the Prime Minister and President,
Boyko Borisov and Georgy Parvanov, convened a meeting of the
national security council to discuss ways of reducing
Parvanov after the talks called on the media and
politicians to "put an end to the language of hatred pushed to
the extreme" and vowed that the government would probe the
finances of people who lived "a life of luxury."
The latest unrest was originally sparked by the killing a
week ago of a youth hit by a van driven by relatives of "King
Kiro", a Roma clan boss in the southern village of Katunitsa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM