Bulgarians protest over economy
Sofia: Hundreds of Bulgarians urged the government to resign on Sunday over its failure to cope with the economic crisis in the European Union`s poorest country at a protest in capital Sofia.
About 2,000 people chanted "Resign" at the second rally staged by the opposition Socialists and dubbed "Labor Day! Day of Anger!." The previous protest took place in March.
"I have never in my life seen people living so badly," said teacher Milka Shopova, 55. "The crisis has played its part, of course, but this government acts so inadequately that we`re sinking more and more."
The economic downturn forced the cabinet of the centre-right GERB to freeze state salaries and pensions a year ago but rising food and fuel prices have piled additional pressure on already low incomes.
Inflation, delayed reforms, high unemployment and a wiretapping scandal into which senior GERB members were drawn have hurt the popularity of the party which came to power in July 2009 on promises to battle the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?