Bulgarians protest over economy
Sofia: Hundreds of Bulgarians urged the government to resign on Sunday over its failure to cope with the economic crisis in the European Union`s poorest country at a protest in capital Sofia.
About 2,000 people chanted "Resign" at the second rally staged by the opposition Socialists and dubbed "Labor Day! Day of Anger!." The previous protest took place in March.
"I have never in my life seen people living so badly," said teacher Milka Shopova, 55. "The crisis has played its part, of course, but this government acts so inadequately that we`re sinking more and more."
The economic downturn forced the cabinet of the centre-right GERB to freeze state salaries and pensions a year ago but rising food and fuel prices have piled additional pressure on already low incomes.
Inflation, delayed reforms, high unemployment and a wiretapping scandal into which senior GERB members were drawn have hurt the popularity of the party which came to power in July 2009 on promises to battle the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof