Bulgarians to elect new president, mayors
Sofia: Bulgarians voted on Sunday in Presidential and Municipal Elections that test the ruling centre-right party`s popularity and the EU nation`s ability to overcome concerns about vote-buying and corruption.
Voting started in over 11,000 polling stations country-wide where some 6.9 million of Bulgaria`s 7.4 million citizens can cast their ballots.
Bulgaria`s economic woes have been the key campaign issue, with the opposition accusing incumbents of stalling key reforms. The country will get a new president and heated mayoral battles are expected in many of the 264 municipalities.
International observers have already voiced concerns, however, about the fairness of Sunday`s elections, and any fraudulent voting could deal a blow to Bulgaria`s hopes of getting into Europe`s passport-free Schengen travel zone.
The EU so far has refused to include Bulgaria due to what it called widespread graft.
"There are fears about large-scale vote buying and manipulations in the counting of the ballots," the OSCE monitoring team said.
Graft watchdog Transparency International predicted that as many as 20 percent of the voters in the EU`s poorest country could be persuaded to sell their ballots.
Most power in Bulgaria rests with the prime minister and Parliament, but the president leads the armed forces and can veto legislation and sign international treaties.
Bulgaria`s current socialist President, Georgi Parvanov, has served two five-year terms and was barred from seeking re-election.
He is expected to be replaced by ex-construction minister Rosen Plevneliev, who is tipped by all polls as the front-runner with about 30 percent of the vote.
The 47-year-old technocrat is supported by the governing GERB party of Prime Minister Boiko Borisov. An entrepreneur before entering politics in 2009, Plevneliev has pledged to reduce the country`s budget deficit and pursue business-friendly policies.
A victory by Plevneliev could increase the chances that Borisov`s minority centre-right government pushes ahead with painful economic reforms in a country with an average monthly salary of EUR 350 (USD 485) and 11.7 percent unemployment. One labor union estimates that 20 percent of Bulgarian families are impoverished.
Plevneliev`s closest rivals — Ivailo Kalfin, 47, of the opposition Socialist Party, and independent Meglena Kuneva, 54, a former European Union commissioner — are expected to finish second and third.
But opinion polls have indicated that none of the 18 presidential candidates is likely to win outright, requiring a runoff on October 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'