Burqa ban makes big deal of non-issue: Muslim leader
Washington: France`s ban on full-face veils makes a big deal out of garb worn by only a tiny fraction of Muslim women in the West, the head of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference said on Tuesday.
"Those who wear burqas, particularly in European or Western countries, are a very small minority, and I don`t understand that you pass legislation to forbid that," OIC Secretary-General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu told reporters at the US-Islamic World forum.
"You`re shining a light on very few people and making a big issue out of this. I think this is a small issue and doesn`t need all this attention."
On Monday, France became the first country in Europe to apply a ban on the wearing of full-face coverings, including the niqab.
Since the law took effect, a handful of women have been fined or given written warnings about wearing burqas in public -- but they have grabbed headlines.
French officials estimate that only around 2,000 women, from a total Muslim population estimated at up to six million, wear full-face veils.
Belgium`s Parliament has also approved a law banning the all-concealing veils in public, but has yet to enforce it. Far-right leaders in the Netherlands have proposed a burqa ban and in Italy, the right-wing Northern League is lobbying for a ban based on the French model.
"Europe is starting to be not the land of freedom but the land of prohibitions," said Ihsanoglu at the conference in Washington, which aims to foster greater understanding between Muslims and Americans.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?