Bus catches fire in south China, at least 2 dead
Beijing: An explosion went off on a bus that then caught fire today in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, killing two people and injuring at least six, China`s official news agency reported.
The bus exploded at around 7:30 pm after the packed bus pulled into a stop, the Xinhua News Agency said, adding that the blast and flames injured people waiting for the bus.
"I heard a bang, and in five minutes, the bus was reduced to a frame," an unnamed passenger who escaped the bus was quoted as saying.
Guangzhou police said on their microblog that they were investigating the incident, which occurred in the Haizhu district of the city. They said two charred bodies had been found at the scene.
Earlier this month, 32 people were injured in a fire on a bus in eastern China`s Hangzhou city after a man on board poured flammable liquid from his backpack and set it alight. Police said the man set the fire to try to gain fame, according to Xinhua.
The incidents come at a time when Chinese authorities are on edge following a series of violent attacks blamed on Muslim extremists, causing them to increase security at airports and train stations, and on buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city