Bus collision in Iran kills 44 people
Tehran: Iran`s state TV says at least 44 people died when two intercity buses collided on a road south of the country`s capital, Tehran.
The accident happened late yesterday when one of the buses swerved into the opposite lane due to a flat tire, colliding head-on with the other bus. Both buses caught fire.
The TV says 44 people were injured in the accident. They were taken to hospital in the city of Qom, about 130 kilometers (80 miles) south of Tehran.
Iran has one of the worst road safety records in the world. Statistics say that more than 20,000 people lose their lives in road accidents every year in the country.
The high toll is blamed on disregard of traffic rules, unsafe roads and poor emergency services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!