Manila: A packed passenger bus negotiating a
downhill curve plunged off a Philippine mountain highway into
a 30-metre ravine on Wednesday killing 41 people, including an
Indian, police said.
Nine people, including a 10-year-old boy, survived and
eight were taken to hospitals, said police chief Wilben Mayor
of Benguet province north of Manila.
Mayor said most of the victims were pinned to death while
others were thrown out as the bus tumbled down.
Working into the night, emergency workers recovered the
last of the 41 bodies from the twisted wreckage, said regional
disaster agency director Olivia Mercado-Luces.
Twenty-six have been identified so far, including four
members of a Filipino-American family who were on their way
back to the US after visiting relatives in the northern
The victims` remains, including a toddler`s, were put in
body bags on the highway and were later taken to funeral
The bus zoomed between a tree and a house and plunged
into the ravine, Mayor said. The driver, who survived with a
broken leg, would be investigated, he said.
John Patrick Flores, the bus conductor, told The
Associated Press by telephone that the brakes on the bus
failed as the driver was negotiating a downhill curve.
He said the driver was aiming to hit a lamppost to stop
the bus from falling but missed and it jumped over 30
centimetre-high road barrier.
"I jumped off the bus to the side of the road before the
bus plunged into the ravine," Flores said. He suffered only
He said he was the first person to reach the bus and
carried the 10-year-old boy with a broken leg up the ravine.
Local residents helped rescue other passengers, eight of whom
were brought to hospital in Baguio.
The bus was carrying about 50 people from the northern
mountain city of Baguio when it crashed in Sablan township,
about 12-kilometre away.
Flores said the bus was not speeding as it had just
dropped off a passenger and picked up another a short distance
away from where the vehicle plunged.