Bus falls from viaduct in Rio, 7 reported killed
Rio de Janeiro: A passenger bus plunged from a 10-meter-high (30-foot) viaduct in central Rio de Janeiro, killing at least seven people and closing a major thoroughfare.
At least six people were injured in the accident, said Sergio Simoes yesterday, who heads Rio state`s Civil Defence department, adding that number of injured was likely to rise. Simoes said the dead were five men and two women.
He said it was unclear how many were aboard and whether any of the passengers were children.
Helicopter footage aired by Globo television network showed emergency response teams evacuating the injured from the overturned bus as rush-hour traffic stood at a standstill on Avenida Brasil, the highway that serves as the main entrance to Rio. Some of the injured were evacuated by helicopter.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known, but Globo cited eyewitness as saying that a dispute between a passenger and the driver might have helped spark the crash.
Buses are the main form of public transit in this city of 6 million, despite their sometimes questionable safety records and often uncomfortable overcrowding levels.
Rio`s buses, operated by private companies, don`t have seat belts, and it`s not unusual for up to several dozen people at a time to travel standing up. Rio`s buses are also known for driving at high speeds, even through residential neighbourhoods.
With two key metro stations closed pending the extension of the subway, buses have taken on an even more crucial role in recent months and are the sole public transit option in poor neighbourhoods ringing the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves