Bus plunges into Peru River, 30 dead
Lima: At least 30 people died when a bus plunged off a highway into a river in central Peru, authorities said on Wednesday.
"So far, I have 30 confirmed dead, but the police are continuing to search for victims," said Rodoricao Cubas Hurtado, chief of the local highway police.
Cubas said nine people were still unaccounted for, and that the search for additional victims was focused on the vehicle, which was still submerged in the river.
The accident occurred in the town of San Ramon, in Peru`s Junin region. Officials said numerous injured passengers were taken to nearby hospitals.
The bus was carrying 52 passengers at the time of the accident, and police said they suspect that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets