Bus plunges into Peru River, 30 dead
Lima: At least 30 people died when a bus plunged off a highway into a river in central Peru, authorities said on Wednesday.
"So far, I have 30 confirmed dead, but the police are continuing to search for victims," said Rodoricao Cubas Hurtado, chief of the local highway police.
Cubas said nine people were still unaccounted for, and that the search for additional victims was focused on the vehicle, which was still submerged in the river.
The accident occurred in the town of San Ramon, in Peru`s Junin region. Officials said numerous injured passengers were taken to nearby hospitals.
The bus was carrying 52 passengers at the time of the accident, and police said they suspect that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack