Bus with students falls off Albania cliff; 11 dead
Tirana (Albani): A bus carrying university students fell off a cliff in southern Albania on Monday, killing 11 people and injuring another 22, authorities said.
Local prefect Edmond Velcani said the bus driver was among the people killed.
The bus had been heading from the city of Elbasan to the southern city of Saranda. Police spokeswoman Klejda Plangarica said the bus fell some 80 meters off the road in Qafa e Vishes near the town of Himare, 220 kilometers south of the capital, Tirana, on Friday afternoon. Eight of the injured students were in serious condition and were flown by helicopter to Tirana`s military hospital.
University officials said two buses had been taking 75 third-year language and literature students and three professors on a trip to Saranda before their graduation. It was not clear what caused the crash.
Prime Minister Sali Berisha sent condolences to the families of the casualties, speaking from Chicago, where he was attending a NATO summit. Several ministers and other top officials were heading to the crash site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report