`Bush admits to making errors in Iraq war`
New York: Former US President George W
Bush has admitted that he committed many errors involving the
Iraq war and said he "felt like the captain of a sinking ship"
towards the end of his presidency when dealing with recession,
according to his new book.
In his book, `Decision Points`, to be released next
week, Bush writes of the errors involving the Iraq campaign
and the failure to find the weapons of mass destruction (WMD),
despite a number of US intelligence reports pointing to their
He admits feeling a "sickening feeling" when
he learned there were no mass destruction weapons in Iraq and
said "cutting troop levels too quickly was the most important
failure of execution in the war," according to excerpts from
his book, released by `The New York Times`.
The former President has also disclosed he considered
replacing his Vice President Dick Cheney who offered to step
down in 2003 so that he could pick someone else as his 2004
campaign running mate.
Bush considered the offer, writing that while
Cheney "helped with important parts of our base, he had become
a lightning rod for criticism from the media and the left". He
said accepting the resignation offer would help "demonstrate
that I was in charge", but he decided to stick with Cheney.
"He was seen as dark and heartless -- the Darth Vader
of the administration," Bush was quoted as saying in his book.
He adds: "The more I thought about it, the more
strongly I felt Dick should stay. I hadn`t picked him to be a
political asset; I had chosen him to help me do the job. That
was exactly what he`d done. I asked Dick to stay..."
In his book, Bush has also disclosed that he "felt
like the captain of a sinking ship" towards the end of his
presidency, when dealing with the recession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter