`Bush admits to making errors in Iraq war`
New York: Former US President George W
Bush has admitted that he committed many errors involving the
Iraq war and said he "felt like the captain of a sinking ship"
towards the end of his presidency when dealing with recession,
according to his new book.
In his book, `Decision Points`, to be released next
week, Bush writes of the errors involving the Iraq campaign
and the failure to find the weapons of mass destruction (WMD),
despite a number of US intelligence reports pointing to their
He admits feeling a "sickening feeling" when
he learned there were no mass destruction weapons in Iraq and
said "cutting troop levels too quickly was the most important
failure of execution in the war," according to excerpts from
his book, released by `The New York Times`.
The former President has also disclosed he considered
replacing his Vice President Dick Cheney who offered to step
down in 2003 so that he could pick someone else as his 2004
campaign running mate.
Bush considered the offer, writing that while
Cheney "helped with important parts of our base, he had become
a lightning rod for criticism from the media and the left". He
said accepting the resignation offer would help "demonstrate
that I was in charge", but he decided to stick with Cheney.
"He was seen as dark and heartless -- the Darth Vader
of the administration," Bush was quoted as saying in his book.
He adds: "The more I thought about it, the more
strongly I felt Dick should stay. I hadn`t picked him to be a
political asset; I had chosen him to help me do the job. That
was exactly what he`d done. I asked Dick to stay..."
In his book, Bush has also disclosed that he "felt
like the captain of a sinking ship" towards the end of his
presidency, when dealing with the recession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly