Bush authorised leak on Iraq, reveals Cheney
Washington: Former US vice president Dick Cheney has revealed in his forthcoming book, `In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir`, that he was surprised to learn that former president George W Bush had personally authorised a leak about Iraq strategy to a Washington Post columnist.
He believed that the disclosure is "a real disservice" to US troops.
"I was very concerned when I read the piece, and I raised it with the president in the Oval Office. ‘Whoever is leaking information like this to the press is doing a real disservice, Mr President,’ I said, ‘both to you and to our forces on the ground in Baghdad.’ … ‘We have to correct this, particularly with our generals in the field,” Politico quoted Cheney, as saying.
"A short time later [national security adviser] Steve Hadley came into my office and closed the door. He told me that he was the source for Ignatius and that he’d talked to him at the instruction of the president,” he added.
The book, written with his daughter Liz Cheney, will be out on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview