Bush recounts Katrina, WMD mistakes on talk show
Chicago: George W Bush recounted the
mistakes of his presidency on Oprah Winfrey`s talk show as he
launched a book tour to promote his just-released memoir
The former president said he still feels "sick about"
the fact no weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq.
His response to Hurricane Katrina could have been quicker, he
said, and he should have landed Air Force One two days after
the storm instead of viewing the destruction through the
plane`s window. And he said he didn`t see the financial
The former president appeared today in a taped episode
of "The Oprah Winfrey Show." Writing the memoir, he said, "was
an easy process" that has kept him busy.
"A lot of people don`t think I can read, much less
write," Bush joked on the programme.
The world is better off without Saddam Hussein, Bush
said, even though the invasion that toppled the Iraqi leader
was based on faulty intelligence about the existence of
weapons of mass destruction.
"When we didn`t find weapons I felt terrible about it,
sick about it and still do, because a lot of the case in
removing Saddam Hussein was based upon weapons of mass
destruction," Bush said. He added that Hussein was "equally
dangerous" without WMDs.
On Katrina, Bush said he didn`t land Air Force One to
view the submerged New Orleans up close because he was worried
about taking resources away from rescue efforts.
"I shouldn`t have flown over and looked. I made a
mistake. I should have landed," Bush said. "I didn`t realise a
picture of me looking out would look like I didn`t give a
Continuing to discuss Katrina, Bush said he should
have sent federal troops to help with security in New Orleans
sooner, but was waiting for authority from Louisiana state
Bush flared against critics who called his Katrina
response racist. Winfrey reminded him that rapper Kanye West
said during a 2005 telethon for hurricane survivors that
"George Bush doesn`t care about black people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015