Bushfires push Australian region in state of emergency
Melbourne: Australian region of New South Wales is in a state of emergency following over 56 bushfires burning across the state, of which 12 are reportedly out of control.
Authorities warned of an "unparallelled fire emergency" and a "potential mega-fire" across hundreds of kilometres, media reports said today.
Huge fires were seen in Blue Mountains at Lithgow, Springwood and Mount Victoria, about which the officials were worried the most as they were being seen as a merging lot.
The State Mine fire near Lithgow had burned nearly 40,000 hectares and was also being looked at with a serious concern.
RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said he expected it would connect with Mount Victoria fire. Firefighters had spent a night to build containment lines ahead of the predicted hot and windy weather.
Evacuations have already started, with residents in some of the affected areas been told to leave ahead of the predicted bad weather conditions over the coming days.
According to reports, a total of 56 bushfires were burning across the state and 12 are out of control.
Premier Barry O`Farrell said the emergency declaration gives authorities additional powers for the next 30 days, including the right to order the public to leave areas and cutting gas and power supplies if needed.
"We`re planning for the worst but hoping for the best," O`Farrell said.
He said no one wanted to force people to abandon there homes, but it could be necessary to ensure everyone`s safety.
"We know there is understandable heartache about leaving property perhaps vulnerable. But if it`s a choice between property or lives we should always go for lives," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India