Cabinet approves India`s stand at WTO
New Delhi: The cabinet Thursday approved the stand taken by India at the ninth ministerial conference of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) held in Bali in Indonesia Dec 3-7.
"Prior to the Bali ministerial conference, the cabinet had provided directions to the commerce and industry minister on the stand to be taken by India. Acting on these directions, India took the position from the beginning that food security was non-negotiable," the cabinet said in a statement.
"As a result of its unwavering stand and the support it was able to muster, India succeeded in getting the text on food security appropriately amended. The final agreed text addresses India`s core concerns. It has a firm commitment from members to work on a permanent resolution".
The recent draft agreement is a significant victory for India whose programme of stocking subsidised foodgrains to ensure cheaper food for its people was considered to have blocked the progress of negotiations.
Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma reaffirmed India`s stance in Indonesia, calling food security "a fundamental issue" and added that "India will never compromise".
Trading partners say the food security programme contravenes WTO rules which limit farm subsidies, and there are concerns that India could use the policy to export food at cheaper prices, thus distorting the market.
The new agreement would allow developing countries farm subsidies for the food security of their people, improve terms of trade for the Least Developed Countries and cut customs rules around the world.
The latest draft texts are the product of weeks of intensive negotiations held in Geneva before the ministerial meeting. They were further refined after round-the-clock consultations at the conference.
WTO officials have said that WTO Director General Roberto Azevedo, Indonesian Trade Minister Gita Wirjawan, US Trade Representative Michael Froman and Indian Commerce Minister Sharma held detailed parleys before the agreement was drafted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'