Cairo condemns stadium execution of Egyptian in Libya
Cairo: Egypt on Saturday condemned the public execution in a Libyan football stadium of one of its nationals, reportedly by jihadists, and urged the international community to help restore security there.
An Islamist armed group carried out a videotaped execution of the Egyptian man in a stadium in Derna in the east, in what Amnesty said yesterday highlighted Libya`s descent into lawlessness.
The rights group said the killing was carried out on August 19, apparently by an extremist militant group, the Shura Council of Islamic Youth, in front of a crowd seated in the stadium.
"Egypt utterly condemns the murder of its citizen, who had no recourse to a fair trial," foreign ministry spokesman Badr Abdelatti said in a statement.
In the video, the man named as Mohamed Ahmed Mohamed is brought into the stadium blindfolded on a truck.
He is forced to kneel and a statement is read out accusing him of killing a Libyan, Amnesty said.
A gun is then passed to an unmasked man in plain clothes, believed to be the brother of the dead Libyan, who then shoots Mohamed from behind.
Abdelatti today urged "all regional and international parties to support the Libyan authorities in confronting extremists, help rebuild Libyan state institutions and re-establish security, law and order and justice".
Since the fall of long-time dictator Muammer Gaddafi in a NATO-backed 2011 uprising, Libya`s interim authorities have failed to establish order and security in a country prone to anarchy and deadly violence.
Amnesty said armed Islamists in Derna "appear to have taken advantage of the breakdown of the rule of law to assert their control in an apparent attempt to enforce their own interpretation" of Islamic sharia laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read