Cairo: Crowd gather for return to barracks protest
Cairo: Hundreds of protesters on Friday gathered
at the iconic Tahrir Square in the capital to step up pressure
on Egypt`s military ruler to speed up the transfer of
political power to civilians and end emergency laws in the
The protest dubbed, `Return to the Barracks Friday", has
been endorsed by several coalition, movements and political
parties aimed at forcing the Supreme Council of the Armed
Forces (SCAF), which governs Egypt after the ouster of Hosni
Mubarak, to hand over power to a civilian government, state-
owned Ahram Online reported today.
The frustrated protesters want the SCAF to hand over
power and provide a clear roadmap for a quicker transition
than was previously proposed.
They also want an end to the expansion of the Mubarak-era
emergency laws and their use in military trials for civilians.
The report said two massive stages have been set up in
Tahrir Square in preparation for mass protests initiated by
several of Egypt?s political movements.
However, the Muslim Brotherhood movement and their
Freedom and Justice Party has rejected invitations to take
part in the protest in the capital, the report said.
Thousands of Egyptians gathered at the square yesterday
and chanted slogans for transfer of power to a civil
Even though Egypt`s Parliamentary polls takes place over
a period of four months, beginning on November 28, no date has
been set for the crucial presidential elections.
There has been mounting speculation that the military was
planing to put up a candidate amid growing public appearances
by Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, the powerful defence
minister of former President Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted in
a 18-day mass protest in February.
However, Tantawi has rejected such "rumours". "The armed
forces have no interest in staying for a long time," he was
quoted as saying by MENA.
83-year-old Mubarak is facing charges of killing peaceful
protesters during the protest which toppled him after thirty
years in power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened