California city heading to bankruptcy court
Stockton (US): After years of struggles, a Central California city is poised to become the most populous in the US to enter bankruptcy when its trial begins on Monday in federal court.
Creditors who lent Stockton money are challenging its bankruptcy petition, but most observers say there`s no doubt the city of 300,000 will be successful.
Its largest creditors are bond insurers who helped the city refinance pension debt. They will argue that Stockton is solvent and hasn`t cut spending enough.
For years Stockton`s salaries, benefits and borrowing were based on anticipated long-term developer fees and increasing property tax revenue. But those were lost in a flurry of foreclosures.
The city has become emblematic of both government excess and the financial calamity that resulted when the nation`s housing bubble burst.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- D-St gives thumbs up to 2 years of Modi govt: Sensex tops 26,600-mark; Nifty above 8,100-level
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, Class X Results 2016 (cbse.nic.in) to be declared on May 30 not today on May 27 or May 28
- Whoa! Kareena Kapoor Khan gets bigger role in Sonam Kapoor's 'Veera Di Shaadi'?
- Faux pas: Ghaziabad cops verify Rahul Gandhi as a driver residing in Indirapuram
- 'Naagin' should have second season: Arjun Bijlani