California city heading to bankruptcy court
Stockton (US): After years of struggles, a Central California city is poised to become the most populous in the US to enter bankruptcy when its trial begins on Monday in federal court.
Creditors who lent Stockton money are challenging its bankruptcy petition, but most observers say there`s no doubt the city of 300,000 will be successful.
Its largest creditors are bond insurers who helped the city refinance pension debt. They will argue that Stockton is solvent and hasn`t cut spending enough.
For years Stockton`s salaries, benefits and borrowing were based on anticipated long-term developer fees and increasing property tax revenue. But those were lost in a flurry of foreclosures.
The city has become emblematic of both government excess and the financial calamity that resulted when the nation`s housing bubble burst.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview