California city heading to bankruptcy court
Stockton (US): After years of struggles, a Central California city is poised to become the most populous in the US to enter bankruptcy when its trial begins on Monday in federal court.
Creditors who lent Stockton money are challenging its bankruptcy petition, but most observers say there`s no doubt the city of 300,000 will be successful.
Its largest creditors are bond insurers who helped the city refinance pension debt. They will argue that Stockton is solvent and hasn`t cut spending enough.
For years Stockton`s salaries, benefits and borrowing were based on anticipated long-term developer fees and increasing property tax revenue. But those were lost in a flurry of foreclosures.
The city has become emblematic of both government excess and the financial calamity that resulted when the nation`s housing bubble burst.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'