California fires force thousands to evacuate
Los Angeles: Some 4,500 residents of the southern California town of Wrightwood, 75 kilometres (47 miles) east of Los Angeles, were forced to evacuate due to a racing wildfire, officials said.
The blaze, only 10 percent contained, broke out on Saturday in the nearby San Bernardino National Forest.
The wildfire is threatening the 2,000 homes in Wrightwood, which was evacuated early Sunday, authorities said.
Thousands of firefighters were rushing to the area, with reinforcements arriving from the border city of San Diego and several greater Los Angeles towns.
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency in San Bernardino county due to the fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'