California gov signs landmark law on gay history
Sacramento: Gov Jerry Brown
has signed a landmark bill adding lessons about gay history to
social studies classes in California`s public schools.
Brown, a Democrat, signed the bill today, making
California the first state in the nation to require public
schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in
social studies curriculum.
The Democratic-majority Legislature passed the bill
last week on a largely party-line vote.
The bill has drawn criticism from some churches and
conservative groups that argue such instruction would expose
students to a subject that some parents find objectionable.
Democratic state Sen Mark Leno of San Francisco, the
bill`s author, has said that teaching gay history in public
schools will teach students to be more accepting of gays and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users