California recognises India`s Independence day
Washington: In an unprecedented move the California State Assembly has passed a Resolution, recognising August 15th as India`s Independence Day and urged all Californians to celebrate the diversity of cultures.
The resolution moved by Bob Wieckowski, a popular assmebly member from the Bay area, was supported by a number of other members.
Speaking in support of the resolution, the Assembly Speaker, John Perez, praised India as the largest functioning democracy and a really important country in the world.
This year`s Independence Day celebrations in the US are being held in the shadow of a senseless human tragedy at Wisconsin Sikh Temple where a gunman needlessly took the lives of six peaceful worshippers and injured many, he said, as the entire Assembly observed a minute of silence in remembrance of those who lost their lives in the tragedy.
After the resolution was passed with overwhelming support, it was handed over to Indian Consul General in San Francisco, N Parthasarathi, who had been specially invited to the Floor of the House to participate in the event.
The Fremont Vice Mayor, Anu Natrajan, along with several community leaders, also participated in the event.
"India`s Independence Day is one of the most important national holidays in India, and the key event of the day takes place in Delhi where the Prime Minster hoists the national flag at the Red Fort and, delivers a nationally televised speech that highlights the achievements of the Government, discusses current issues and future plans for progress, and pays tribute to the leaders of India`s struggle for freedom," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video