California wildfire forces thousands to evacuate
Idyllwild (Calif): People fled from thousands of homes as a wildfire pushed toward Southern California mountain communities.
Evacuation orders affected some 2,200 homes and 6,000 residents and visitors, said US Forest Service spokeswoman Carol Jandrall.
Winds that were moving the fire into wilderness were beginning to change direction, said Forest Service spokeswoman Melody Lardner.
Very hot and dry conditions were forecast for the next two days, said Tina Rose, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
Rose said the fire was showing extreme behavior in an area that hadn`t burned in many years.
"The slightest little spark is going to make a run and torch trees," Rose said. "It`s just so bone dry."
The blaze destroyed three houses, damaged another and destroyed three mobile homes, a cabin, a garage and about a half-dozen vehicles, the US Forest Service said in a statement Tuesday.
The wildfire started Monday. Nearly 3,000 firefighters and 25 aircraft had the blaze about 15 per cent contained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway