California wildfire forces thousands to evacuate
Idyllwild (Calif): People fled from thousands of homes as a wildfire pushed toward Southern California mountain communities.
Evacuation orders affected some 2,200 homes and 6,000 residents and visitors, said US Forest Service spokeswoman Carol Jandrall.
Winds that were moving the fire into wilderness were beginning to change direction, said Forest Service spokeswoman Melody Lardner.
Very hot and dry conditions were forecast for the next two days, said Tina Rose, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
Rose said the fire was showing extreme behavior in an area that hadn`t burned in many years.
"The slightest little spark is going to make a run and torch trees," Rose said. "It`s just so bone dry."
The blaze destroyed three houses, damaged another and destroyed three mobile homes, a cabin, a garage and about a half-dozen vehicles, the US Forest Service said in a statement Tuesday.
The wildfire started Monday. Nearly 3,000 firefighters and 25 aircraft had the blaze about 15 per cent contained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’