California wildfire forces thousands to evacuate
Idyllwild (Calif): People fled from thousands of homes as a wildfire pushed toward Southern California mountain communities.
Evacuation orders affected some 2,200 homes and 6,000 residents and visitors, said US Forest Service spokeswoman Carol Jandrall.
Winds that were moving the fire into wilderness were beginning to change direction, said Forest Service spokeswoman Melody Lardner.
Very hot and dry conditions were forecast for the next two days, said Tina Rose, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
Rose said the fire was showing extreme behavior in an area that hadn`t burned in many years.
"The slightest little spark is going to make a run and torch trees," Rose said. "It`s just so bone dry."
The blaze destroyed three houses, damaged another and destroyed three mobile homes, a cabin, a garage and about a half-dozen vehicles, the US Forest Service said in a statement Tuesday.
The wildfire started Monday. Nearly 3,000 firefighters and 25 aircraft had the blaze about 15 per cent contained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen