Cambodia-Thailand border dispute at UN court
The Hague: Thailand and Cambodia will face off at the United Nations` highest court on Monday, in the latest move to settle a decades-old battle for control of a disputed border region that has erupted into deadly military clashes.
Cambodia is asking the International Court of Justice to order Thailand to withdraw troops and halt military activity around a temple at the centre of the dispute between the Southeast Asian neighbours.
The conflict involves small patches of land along the border that have been disputed for more than half a century.
Fighting has repeatedly broken out since 2008, when Cambodia`s 11th-century Preah Vihear temple was given UN World Heritage status over Thailand`s objections.
Talks mediated by Indonesia`s President earlier this month between the two countries` Prime Ministers failed to hammer out a lasting ceasefire.
Fighting around the temple has cost about 20 lives and sent tens of thousands fleeing.
Cambodia is asking for an "interpretation" of a 1962 ruling by the court that the temple is on its territory and warns that if the intervention request is rejected and clashes continue, "the damage to the Temple of Preah Vihear, as well as irremediable losses of life and human suffering ... would become worse."
The dispute has stirred nationalist sentiment on both sides of the border. But analysts say domestic politics may also be fuelling the conflict, especially in Thailand, where the military that staged a coup in 2006 could be flexing its muscles ahead of July 03 elections.
Cambodia said in April that a written explanation of the 1962 judgment "could then serve as a basis for a final resolution of this dispute through negotiation or any other peaceful means."
Hearings on Monday and Tuesday will not deal with the substance of the case, which will be debated at a later date, only the Cambodian request for the court to order a halt to military action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof