Cambodia to expel 20 Chinese Muslims: Ministry
Phnom Penh: Cambodia is expelling 20 Chinese Muslim Uighurs who sought refuge there after July unrest in northwest China`s Xinjiang region, a foreign ministry spokesman told a news agency on Saturday.
"We have decided that they are illegal immigrants because they entered Cambodia without any visa papers," said ministry spokesman Koy Kuong.
"They are illegal immigrants and according to Cambodian immigration law they should be expelled from the country. So we must expel them," he said, refusing to say when the group would be deported or what their destination would be.
The group arrived at the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) office after clashes between Xinjiang`s Uighurs and China`s majority Han ethnic group left 197 people dead and more than 1,600 injured, officials said.
The group`s presence in Phnom Penh was made public two weeks ago as they sought UN refugee status in Cambodia, saying they risked torture at home in China.
Rights groups and the US government have urged Cambodia not to deport them to China, saying they would face possible persecution there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video