Cambodian opposition leader warns of `sham` election
Phnom Penh: Cambodia`s newly returned opposition leader has denounced political intimidation and warned that this month`s election will be a "sham" unless he is allowed to stand as a candidate.
Sam Rainsy, who was greeted by huge crowds on Friday after his return from self-imposed exile in France, is seen as the main challenger to strongman Prime Minister Hun Sen.
But he has been removed from the electoral register and is unable to run as a candidate in the July 28 polls unless parliament amends the law.
In an interview with Radio Free Asia, Rainsy warned that demonstrations might break out if he is not allowed to stand.
"If I can`t participate, after the elections all the Cambodian people will protest and the whole international community will condemn the result and regard this as a sham election," Rainsy was quoted as saying.
"Then we will demand a real election to allow Cambodians to decide their true destiny," he added.
US lawmakers have called for the United States to cut off aid to Cambodia unless the vote is free.
Rainsy, a French-educated former banker, fled in 2009 to avoid charges he contends were politically motivated.
He was convicted in his absence of charges including inciting racial discrimination and spreading disinformation and had faced 11 years in jail but received a royal pardon earlier this month.
Aiming to finally unseat Hun Sen, he recently joined with former rival and veteran activist-turned-politician Kem Sokha to form the CNRP.
Although he is not a candidate, he has hit the campaign trail to spearhead his party`s efforts to end Hun Sen`s nearly three decades in power.
The UN`s special rapporteur on human rights in Cambodia, Surya Subedi, last week urged Cambodia to let Rainsy play a "full part" in politics.
Hun Sen is one of Southeast Asia`s longest-serving leaders. His Cambodian People`s Party (CPP) won the last two polls by a landslide amid allegations of fraud and election irregularities.
His government is regularly accused of suppressing political freedoms and muzzling activists. In May Hun Sen said he would try to stay in power for another decade.
The opposition also accused people in power of being behind an attack by an unknown gunman who fired a bullet at the party`s headquarters in the early hours today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow