Cambodian PM says opposition will rue his death
Phnom Penh: Cambodia`s prime minister today derided rumors he had suffered a stroke, warning that if he were to die prematurely the country would spin out of control and the opposition could expect trouble from the armed forces.
Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke during a visit with disabled people in southern Cambodia. He scotched the rumors on Monday by meeting with former Singaporean Foreign Minister George Yeo.
Reacting to reports that the opposition had believed the rumor, he said wishing for the death of other people was inhuman.
"In case I had suffered a massive stroke as was reported, you please should pack up your things and flee. I am speaking honestly, because the ability to command all the armed forces belongs to only one person," he said, clearly referring to himself. He advised his critics not to wish for his death, and if he should fall victim to such a thing as a stroke, they better be prepared because anything could happen to them.
Hun Sen`s comments supported the conventional wisdom in that his three decades in charge, he has created a system of what amounts to personalized, one-man rule within a democratic framework.
Hun Sen also warned the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party that if it did not end its boycott of the National Assembly, the ruling Cambodian People`s Party would act alone until the assembly completes its term. The opposition claims it was cheated in last year`s general election, and has made several demands, including early polls and electoral reforms.
In negotiations, Hun Sen has said he is willing to see the next election held five months ahead of schedule, in February 2018, but if the boycott isn`t ended, it will be held on schedule in July 2018. He also indicated that reform of the state election commission would depend on the opposition joining parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you