Cameron, Abbas meet over Palestine-Israel peace talks
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron Wednesday met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas here to discuss the Palestine-Israel peace process.
"President Abbas outlined his plans for a new, technocratic Palestinian government, committed to the Quartet principles, including non-violence and the recognition of Israel," Xinhua quoted a Downing Street spokesperson as saying in a statement after the meeting.
Abbas also expressed his readiness to resume peace talks with Israel and his hope that this could be achieved rapidly.
Cameron urged progress towards securing the rapid resumption of peace talks, which remain "the only viable route to a lasting solution".
"The Prime Minister reiterated our support for a two-state solution and the UK`s support to the Palestinian Authority," the spokesperson added.
Cameron also expressed his desire to build on the economic progress in the Palestinian territories, particularly in the West Bank.
A meeting between Abbas and US Secretary of State John Kerry is also scheduled Thursday in London to evaluate the course of the Palestinian-Israeli peace process, according to Palestinian Minister of Foreign Affairs Riad al-Maleki.
Abbas and Kerry are expected to talk about the reasons that led to the failure of the peace talks and discuss the possibility of resuming peace negotiations.
Israel suspended the US-mediated peace negotiations with the Palestinians five days before they officially ended in response to the reconciliation agreement signed April 23 between Abbas`s Fatah party and Hamas rulers of Gaza.
Following the signing of the reconciliation deal, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel will not negotiate with any Palestinian government unless it recognises the state of Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Bleaching kills 35 percent of coral in Great Barrier Reef
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money