Cameron defends `frank` comments about Pakistan terror
New Delhi: As Pakistan seethed over his remarks about exporting terror, British Prime Minister David Cameron Thursday said "it was important to speak frankly" and stressed that while Islamabad had "made progress... we need them to do more".
"I think it`s important to speak frankly about the problems as you see them. I mean I think that is what people expect of their government," Cameron told BBC here.
"To be fair to the Pakistan government, they have made progress in chasing down militants and terrorists in Pakistan that threaten their own country and threaten others," he said.
"But we need them to do more and we should work with them to do more because as I said yesterday, it`s not acceptable to have those within Pakistan who are supporting terrorist groups that can do so much damage to their own country and to British people whether in Afghanistan or back home in Britain."
Cameron, who is on his maiden visit to India as prime minister, had said in Bangalore Wednesday that Britain can`t tolerate the idea that Pakistan can look both ways and export terror to India, Afghanistan or anywhere else in the world.
Cameron`s comments have angered Islamabad. Pakistan’s High Commissioner to Britain Wajid Shamsul Hasan has slammed Cameron’s remarks, saying they were "an immature reaction from an immature politician".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!