Cameron discusses Ukraine crisis with Obama, European leaders
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron Friday discussed the ongoing crisis in Ukraine with US President Barack Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Francois Hollande and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi in a phone call, a Downing Street spokesperson said.
"The five leaders welcomed the efforts by the Ukrainian government to implement the Geneva agreement, including cooperation with the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and working towards constitutional reform and decentralisation," Xinhua quoted the Downing Street spokesperson as saying in a statement.
It said the leaders agreed to extend "the current targeted sanctions" on Russia.
The leaders "condemned the absence of any efforts on the part of Russia to support the implementation of the Geneva agreement, and the further efforts to destabilise Ukraine and to undermine the 25 May elections".
A new wave of unrest erupted in Ukraine`s east in early April, when pro-Russia activists seized government buildings in the cities of Donetsk, Lugansk and Kharkov.
Russia Thursday began military drills near the border with Ukraine in response to Kiev`s "anti-terror" operation, which left five pro-Russia protesters dead.
Russian President Vladimir Putin called the operation "a serious crime", warning of "consequences" if Kiev deployed the army against its own people.
Also on Thursday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that the US should use its influence to make the Ukrainian authorities fulfill their commitment to the Geneva agreement on Ukraine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla