Cameron lauds Punjabis for contributing to UK economy
London: Acknowledging the contributions of Punjabis to the British society, Prime Minister David Cameron has said the community members through their hard work are helping the country`s economy.
"Through hard work and dedication, British Punjabis have made their mark in media and business as well as many other fields, helping the economy and providing very valuable influences in so many ways," Cameron said in a message on the launch of the first annual cultural awards of the Punjabi Circle International.
Cameron also congratulated the winners of the awards and said, "The recipients have all gained international acclaim and the senior artistes dedicated their entire lives to poetry, writing, writing lyrics, broadcasting, media or singing and the youngsters played a very important role by remixing music and totally revolutionised it."
Punjabi singer and actor Surinder Shinda was presented with the lifetime achievement at the ceremony here last night.
"Shinda is an Indian singer of Bhangra music with traditional Punjabi roots who is considered a grandfather of modern Punjabi music has numerous hit songs to his credit such as Putt Jattan De, Balbiro Bhabhi, and Kaher Singh De Mout," the citation said.
Shinda has also appeared in Punjabi films such as Putt Jattan De and Uccha Dar Babbe Nanak Da.
Dominic Grieve, Britain`s Attorney General and Seema Malhotra, Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities, jointly presented the award to Shinda.
Attorney Dominic Grieve said, "The Punjabi contribution to life in the UK is not just an economic and financial one but also it is the sharing of the Punjabi culture with us all."
British-Indian Channi Singh, a bhangra musician known as the Godfather of Bhangra in the West, Sathi Ludhianvi, a multi-lingual socio-political radio broadcaster and Chaman Lal Chaman, a London-based Punjabi poet, lyricist and radio broadcaster were among others awarded by Punjabi Circle International founded by Nirpal Singh Riat.
Speaking at the event, Malhotra lauded "the event is a landmark occasion to recognise the talents and contribution of the Punjabi community.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata