Cameron meets Dalai Lama; China cancels UK visit
London: China has reportedly cancelled a senior leader’s visit to Britain in protest against a meeting between UK Prime Minister David Cameron and the Dalai Lama.
Wu Bangguo, China`s top legislator, had planned a trip to London to round off a short European tour.
But diplomatic sources revealed that the visit was called off when China found out Cameron was going to meet the Tibetan spiritual leader.
China also reportedly told the British ambassador that the meeting had ‘damaged relations with the UK’.
“We are strongly discontented and firmly opposed to it. The British government has [hurt] the feelings of the Chinese people, meddled in China`s affairs and harmed Chinese-British relations,” the daily Mail quoted a Foreign Ministry spokesman, as saying.
“We call on the British side to earnestly respond to China’s solemn demand, stop conniving at and supporting separatist attempts to achieve Tibetan independence,” the spokesman said.
“Take practical measures to eliminate the terrible impact and take actions to preserve Chinese-British relations,” he added.
Cameron had met the Dalai Lama earlier this month as he travelled to the UK to collect the GBP 1.1 million Templeton prize, which he donated to Save The Children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH