Cameron meets Dalai Lama; China cancels UK visit
London: China has reportedly cancelled a senior leader’s visit to Britain in protest against a meeting between UK Prime Minister David Cameron and the Dalai Lama.
Wu Bangguo, China`s top legislator, had planned a trip to London to round off a short European tour.
But diplomatic sources revealed that the visit was called off when China found out Cameron was going to meet the Tibetan spiritual leader.
China also reportedly told the British ambassador that the meeting had ‘damaged relations with the UK’.
“We are strongly discontented and firmly opposed to it. The British government has [hurt] the feelings of the Chinese people, meddled in China`s affairs and harmed Chinese-British relations,” the daily Mail quoted a Foreign Ministry spokesman, as saying.
“We call on the British side to earnestly respond to China’s solemn demand, stop conniving at and supporting separatist attempts to achieve Tibetan independence,” the spokesman said.
“Take practical measures to eliminate the terrible impact and take actions to preserve Chinese-British relations,” he added.
Cameron had met the Dalai Lama earlier this month as he travelled to the UK to collect the GBP 1.1 million Templeton prize, which he donated to Save The Children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra