Cameron meets Dalai Lama; China cancels UK visit
London: China has reportedly cancelled a senior leader’s visit to Britain in protest against a meeting between UK Prime Minister David Cameron and the Dalai Lama.
Wu Bangguo, China`s top legislator, had planned a trip to London to round off a short European tour.
But diplomatic sources revealed that the visit was called off when China found out Cameron was going to meet the Tibetan spiritual leader.
China also reportedly told the British ambassador that the meeting had ‘damaged relations with the UK’.
“We are strongly discontented and firmly opposed to it. The British government has [hurt] the feelings of the Chinese people, meddled in China`s affairs and harmed Chinese-British relations,” the daily Mail quoted a Foreign Ministry spokesman, as saying.
“We call on the British side to earnestly respond to China’s solemn demand, stop conniving at and supporting separatist attempts to achieve Tibetan independence,” the spokesman said.
“Take practical measures to eliminate the terrible impact and take actions to preserve Chinese-British relations,” he added.
Cameron had met the Dalai Lama earlier this month as he travelled to the UK to collect the GBP 1.1 million Templeton prize, which he donated to Save The Children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31