Cameron says `big step forward` if Syria hands over chemical weapons
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday welcomed a Russian proposal that Syria hand over its chemical weapons to the international community to avoid US military action.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov had earlier called on the Assad regime to hand over control of its chemical weapons and have them destroyed, a proposal welcomed by his Syrian counterpart.
"If that were to be the case it would be hugely welcome," Cameron told lawmakers.
"If Syria were to put its chemical weapons beyond use, under international supervision, clearly that would be a big step forward and should be encouraged."
He added: "I think we have to be careful though this is not a distraction tactic to discuss something else rather than the problem on the table," Cameron added.
"But if it is a genuine offer it should be genuinely looked at."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know