Cameron texted `lots of love` to Brooks?
London: Known for using the Internet and new media, British Prime Minister David Cameron somehow believed that `LOL` meant `Lots of Love` when sending texts to ex-editor of the News of the World Rebekah Brooks, until she enlightened him that it actually meant `Laugh Out Loud`.
Brooks, 43, who was arrested for allegations of perjury and in relation to phone-hacking scandal at the now-defunct tabloid of Media mogul Rupert Murdoch, revealed Cameron`s knowledge of texting language while deposing before the Leveson Inquiry on media ethics today.
Brooks, who said she had family relations with Cameron through her husband, said the prime ministerial texts would often be signed off as `DC`.
She said: "Occasionally he would sign them off `LOL`, lots of love, until I told him it meant `laugh out loud`?"
Asked if Cameron had sent a text message saying "keep your head up" after her resignation as CEO of News International last year, Brooks said the message was "along those lines".
Brooks, a close aide of 81-year-old Murdoch, said she also received texts of support from Tony Blair, Chancellor George Osborne, Home secretary Theresa May and Foreign secretary William Hague.
Brooks` revelations inspired several versions of `handy guide to textspeak` for the benefit on news websites and blogs.
One of them advised Cameron that `ROFL` did not mean `Rebekah, On For Lunch?`, and that `OMG` did not mean `Oh, Murdoch`s Gorgeous`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list