Cameron wants to stay as UK PM till 2020
London: David Cameron wants to hold on to his post as Britain`s Prime Minister at least until 2020 to oversee a wave of new reforms, including a renegotiation of UK`s troubled ties with Europe, the British media reported Sunday.
"Yes, look, I want to fight the next election, win the next election and serve that is what I want to do," Cameron said, signalling for the first time that he plans to seek another full term if re-elected in 2015.
In an interview to the Telegraph, the 46-year-old Cameron said he intends to fight the next election in 2015 and wants to stay as Prime Minister until 2020.
This would mean that Cameron would have to hold on to Tory leadership for 15 years, matching the record of Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher`s tenure.
He would also become one of the longest-serving prime ministers of modern times, in the same league as Tory PM Thatcher (11 years, 209 days) and Labour`s Tony Blair (10 years, 56 days).
And as a result of the system of fixed-term parliaments introduced by Britain`s Tory-led coalition, Cameron is determined to stay on at No 10 Downing Street until 2020.
The Prime Minister rarely discusses his planned departure date, which had prompted speculation that if re-elected in 2015 he would stand down midway through the next Parliament, clearing the way for leadership contenders such as Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and George Osborne.
However, such speculation will be quashed with his latest interview.
The importance of the disclosure clarifies his state of mind and his intentions for the next term.
Speaking on the eve of the coalition`s Mid-Term Review, he urged critics within his party to "stop complaining" and recognise the importance of welfare, education and economic reforms being driven through by the coalition.
The review, expected tomorrow, will feature an audit of the coalition`s achievements so far and a mini-manifesto of measures on pensions, social care and transport.
When asked about what he might say in the speech, Cameron said, "What I`d say to Sunday Telegraph readers is `I get it`. Britain has a role in Europe ... But we`re not happy with the way the relationship works at the moment and so we want change."
He added that he and his party will be offering "real change" and a "genuine choice" at the next election on the European question.
He stressed that Britain has a role to play as a trading nation in Europe, but that there is an "opportunity for us to insist on our own changes" to the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh