Cameron wraps up Algeria visit, leaves for Libya
Algiers: David Cameron on Thursday wrapped up his two-day visit to Algeria, the first by a British prime minister since 1962, and headed for Tripoli on a surprise visit to Libya, Xinhua reported.
At the end of talks with Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, Cameron said his country and Algeria were united in the fight against terrorism.
"Algeria and Britain have both endured terrorism, and we understand very well each other. Algeria and Britain are united together in the fight against terrorism," Algerian state-run APS news agency quoted Cameron as saying.
"It is not only about sharing the same views, but also to exchange information and to cooperate in the field of counter-terrorism."
"We agreed to set up a strategic bilateral partnership, especially with regard to defence, intelligence and the fight against terrorism," Cameron said.
He termed a terror attack that targeted the gas field facility of Tiguentourine in southeastern Algeria two weeks ago as "terrible", offering condolences to the families of the victims.
Asked about the situation in Mali, Cameron reiterated that his country supports the military intervention in Mali through providing French forces with transport aircraft.
However, he said "Britain won`t send troops to fight in Mali".
"Terrorism in Mali is constant and getting stronger. We have to get ready to fight it," Cameron said.
He also stressed that the scourge of terrorism "shouldn`t be dealt only with a security perspective".
"We believe that in the future, we must find political, diplomatic and economic solutions to the crisis hitting Mali," the Prime Minister said.
Cameron hailed his talks with Bouteflika as "excellent", noting that they also tackled ways of boosting bilateral economic and trade relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon