Cameroon: 126 arrested over independence protest
Yaounde: An official says police have arrested 126 protesters seeking independence for English-speaking Cameroon.
The police official says they were arrested Saturday and Sunday for defying public order. They follow the arrests of 50 activists from the Southern Cameroons National Council who demonstrated Saturday. The official asked for anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to journalists.
Saturday was the 50th anniversary of British Cameroon`s merger with the former French Cameroon.
The protest follows other recent unrest as Oct. 9 elections approach.
On Thursday, gunmen carrying signs opposing President Paul Biya blockaded a bridge and shot at police in the city of Douala.
Biya has ruled since 1982 and is widely expected to win another seven-year term in the West African nation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis