Cameroon: 126 arrested over independence protest
Yaounde: An official says police have arrested 126 protesters seeking independence for English-speaking Cameroon.
The police official says they were arrested Saturday and Sunday for defying public order. They follow the arrests of 50 activists from the Southern Cameroons National Council who demonstrated Saturday. The official asked for anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to journalists.
Saturday was the 50th anniversary of British Cameroon`s merger with the former French Cameroon.
The protest follows other recent unrest as Oct. 9 elections approach.
On Thursday, gunmen carrying signs opposing President Paul Biya blockaded a bridge and shot at police in the city of Douala.
Biya has ruled since 1982 and is widely expected to win another seven-year term in the West African nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says