Cameroon sends 14 Boko Haram members to prison: Report
Yaoundé: A military court in Cameroon has handed down prison sentences of up to 20 years to 14 Boko Haram members, the country`s state broadcaster Crtv reported Friday.
The defendants, who were arrested in March after the discovery of a weapons cache, admitted to being part of the Nigerian extremist group at a "public hearing" in the northern town of Maroua, said the report.
They had been charged with the illegal possession of firearms and ammunition and of plotting an insurrection.
"Each of the Boko Haram members (was) sentenced to between 10 and 20 years" in prison, said the report, adding that the sentences cannot be appealed.
The trial was reportedly the first of its kind in Cameroon where a large number of members of the radical group have been arrested in the north over the past weeks following attacks on police stations, as well as kidnappings and killings.
The armed movement is seeking to install an extremist Islamic state in Nigeria. It started its bloody insurgency in 2009.
More than 3,000 Nigerians fleeing Boko Haram attacks have taken refuge in the Cameroon town of Fotokol, according to a municipal official.
"We are worried about infiltrations" by the Islamists among the refugees, a police officer in the town said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!