Can US Navy SEALs shoot Lockerbie bomber dead?
London: A father who lost his daughter in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing has said that he fears the US Navy SEALs team that killed al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in Pakistan could target Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the man convicted of the atrocity.
Dr Jim Swire, who has long led a campaign on behalf of the Lockerbie victims’ families, said that the Navy SEALs could shoot dead al-Megrahi, who the US wants to put on trial.
“I am worried for him. I can just see the unit they sent to kill Osama bin Laden being sent to extract Megrahi,” the Telegraph reports.
“Presumably, they wouldn’t extract him, but kill him on the spot,” he added.
Dr Swire’s daughter Flora was killed in the bombing.
On December 21, 1988, Pan Am Flight 103, an aircraft flying from London’s Heathrow Airport to New York’s John F Kennedy International Airport, was destroyed by a bomb, killing all 243 passengers and 16 crew members.
Eleven people in Lockerbie, Scotland, were also killed as large sections of the plane fell in the town and destroyed several houses, bringing total fatalities to 270.
Al-Megrahi was convicted, by a panel of three Scottish judges sitting in a special court at Camp Zeist in the Netherlands in January 2001, of 270 counts of murder for the bombing and was sentenced to life imprisonment.
He was, however, released from a Scottish prison in August 2009 on ‘compassionate grounds’ after doctors ruled he would die from prostate cancer within three months.
He had served nearly eight years of a 27-year sentence for killing 270 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon