Canada announces sanctions against Russia, Ukraine
Ottawa: The Canadian government has announced new economic sanctions and travel bans against Ukrainian and Russian individuals and entities.
"The sanctions imposed are against a broad range of entities from Russia`s financial and energy sectors, our aim is to increase economic and political pressure on the Putin regime," Xinhua quoted Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper as saying Thursday.
Harper said his government is also imposing sanctions on "the armed separatist groups known as the Donetsk People`s Republic and the Luhansk People`s Republic".
"These groups, with direct support from Russia, have engaged in outrageous acts against the armed forces of Ukraine, international monitors deployed in the area, and the civilian population," Harper added.
The sanction list include eight Ukrainians, who are allegedly linked to the two armed separatist groups.
Also targeted are several Russian entities, including Almaz-Antey, Federal State Unitary Enterprise State Research and Production Enterprise, Bazalt, Gazprombank OAO, JSC Concern Radio- Electronic Technologies, JSC Concern Sozvezdie, JSC MIC NPO Mashinostroyenia, Kalashnikov Concern, KBP Instrument Design Bureau, Novatek, and Vnesheconom bank.
"As we have seen with the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 last week, the Putin regime`s failure to end its support to armed separatist groups constitutes a threat to international peace and security," Harper said.
After the Ukrainian crisis, the Canadian government has suspended almost all economic and military exchanges and imposed economic sanctions and travel ban against 100 Russians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!