Canada arrests suspect in Hamas militant`s killing: Police
Dubai: Canada has arrested a suspect
involved in the assassination of a senior Hamas leader who was
killed in a Dubai luxury hotel early this year, the Gulf
emirate`s police chief said in a report, today.
"He was among the preparatory group which arrived in
the country and left it before the crime" was committed,
Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan was quoted as saying in the
Arabic-language daily Al-Ittihad.
Mahmud al-Mabhuh, a founder of the military wing of
the Islamist Hamas movement which controls the Gaza Strip, was
found dead in his room in the Al Bustan Rotana hotel near
Dubai airport on January 20.
Khalfan had received the information from the Canadian
ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, Al-Ittihad said
without revealing the name of the suspect.
But the daily added that the arrested person was among
a number of suspects for which international red notices had
been issued by Interpol on behalf of the UAE.
"We have no doubt that (Israel`s spy agency) Mossad is
behind the assassination. We are 100 percent sure" of this,
Khalfan said in the report.
Twelve British, six Irish, four French, one German and
three Australian passports were used by the 26 people believed
linked to the murder, according to Dubai police.
In many cases, the travel documents appeared either to
have been faked or obtained illegally. The countries whose
passports were used all called in Israeli envoys for talks.
Britain said in March that it was expelling one
Israeli diplomat while Australia announced in May that it was
throwing out an official from the Israeli embassy.
Israel has said there is no evidence linking it or
Mossad to the assassination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall