Canada arrests suspect in Hamas militant`s killing: Police
Dubai: Canada has arrested a suspect
involved in the assassination of a senior Hamas leader who was
killed in a Dubai luxury hotel early this year, the Gulf
emirate`s police chief said in a report, today.
"He was among the preparatory group which arrived in
the country and left it before the crime" was committed,
Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan was quoted as saying in the
Arabic-language daily Al-Ittihad.
Mahmud al-Mabhuh, a founder of the military wing of
the Islamist Hamas movement which controls the Gaza Strip, was
found dead in his room in the Al Bustan Rotana hotel near
Dubai airport on January 20.
Khalfan had received the information from the Canadian
ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, Al-Ittihad said
without revealing the name of the suspect.
But the daily added that the arrested person was among
a number of suspects for which international red notices had
been issued by Interpol on behalf of the UAE.
"We have no doubt that (Israel`s spy agency) Mossad is
behind the assassination. We are 100 percent sure" of this,
Khalfan said in the report.
Twelve British, six Irish, four French, one German and
three Australian passports were used by the 26 people believed
linked to the murder, according to Dubai police.
In many cases, the travel documents appeared either to
have been faked or obtained illegally. The countries whose
passports were used all called in Israeli envoys for talks.
Britain said in March that it was expelling one
Israeli diplomat while Australia announced in May that it was
throwing out an official from the Israeli embassy.
Israel has said there is no evidence linking it or
Mossad to the assassination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister