Canada cuts ties with Iran
Moscow: Canada has frozen diplomatic relations with Iran and will expel Iranian diplomats from the country, Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird has said.
Ottawa has formally listed Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorist Act, he said.
"Iran is among the world`s worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups," Baird said.
All Iranian diplomats in Canada have been declared personae non gratae and must leave within five days. All Canadian diplomats have already left Iran.
"Canada views the government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today," Baird said.
It also cited Iran`s support for the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria and failure to honor UN resolutions on its nuclear programme.
Iran denies this and maintains its nuclear ambitions are purely peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list