Canada cuts ties with Iran
Moscow: Canada has frozen diplomatic relations with Iran and will expel Iranian diplomats from the country, Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird has said.
Ottawa has formally listed Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorist Act, he said.
"Iran is among the world`s worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups," Baird said.
All Iranian diplomats in Canada have been declared personae non gratae and must leave within five days. All Canadian diplomats have already left Iran.
"Canada views the government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today," Baird said.
It also cited Iran`s support for the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria and failure to honor UN resolutions on its nuclear programme.
Iran denies this and maintains its nuclear ambitions are purely peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice