Canada cuts ties with Iran
Moscow: Canada has frozen diplomatic relations with Iran and will expel Iranian diplomats from the country, Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird has said.
Ottawa has formally listed Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorist Act, he said.
"Iran is among the world`s worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups," Baird said.
All Iranian diplomats in Canada have been declared personae non gratae and must leave within five days. All Canadian diplomats have already left Iran.
"Canada views the government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today," Baird said.
It also cited Iran`s support for the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria and failure to honor UN resolutions on its nuclear programme.
Iran denies this and maintains its nuclear ambitions are purely peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal