Canada enacts law for faster removal of foreign criminals
Toronto: In a bid to remove dangerous foreign criminals from its soil, Canada has enacted a new legislation that strengthens the integrity of country`s immigration system.
The Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act strengthens the integrity of Canada`s immigration system by amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to speed up the removal of dangerous foreign criminals, the Canadian government said in a press release on Thursday.
"This new law will keep Canadians safer by ending endless appeals and loopholes that were being used by dangerous foreign criminals to delay their deportation, during which time many committed more crimes," Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney said, welcoming the final passage and Royal Assent of the act.
While the new act will make it harder for those who may pose a risk to Canada to enter the country, it will remove unnecessary barriers for genuine visitors, the statement said.
The Government is delivering on its commitment to deport dangerous foreign criminals faster by limiting their access to the Immigration and Refugee Board`s Immigration Appeal Division.
This change is consistent with the government`s no safe haven policy, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?