Canada floods kill three, thousands forced to evacuate
Zee Media Bureau
Calgary: At least three people were killed and thousands forced to evacuate their homes after devastating flood waters reportedly damaged homes and washed out bridges and streets in around southern Alberta.
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said that it is yet to be determined whether any more damage will be caused due to overflowing water and termed the water level due to floods as “stunning,” as per a news agency report.
Harper, a Calgary resident, said he never imagined there would be a flood of this magnitude in this part of Canada.
"This is incredible. I`ve seen a little bit of flooding in Calgary before. I don`t think any of us have seen anything like this before. The magnitude is just extraordinary," he said.
"We`re all very concerned that if gets much more than this it could have real impact on infrastructure and other services longer term, so we`re hoping things will subside a bit."
Overflowing rivers washed out roads and bridges, soaked homes and turned streets into dirt-brown waterways around southern Alberta. Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt Patricia Neely told reporters three were dead and two bodies were recovered.
The two bodies recovered are the two men who had been seen floating lifeless in the Highwood River near High River on Thursday, she said.
Twenty-five neighborhoods in the city, with an estimated 75,000 people, have already been evacuated due to floodwaters in Calgary, a city of more than a million people that hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics and serves as the center of Canada`s oil industry.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown