Canada floods kill three, thousands forced to evacuate
Zee Media Bureau
Calgary: At least three people were killed and thousands forced to evacuate their homes after devastating flood waters reportedly damaged homes and washed out bridges and streets in around southern Alberta.
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said that it is yet to be determined whether any more damage will be caused due to overflowing water and termed the water level due to floods as “stunning,” as per a news agency report.
Harper, a Calgary resident, said he never imagined there would be a flood of this magnitude in this part of Canada.
"This is incredible. I`ve seen a little bit of flooding in Calgary before. I don`t think any of us have seen anything like this before. The magnitude is just extraordinary," he said.
"We`re all very concerned that if gets much more than this it could have real impact on infrastructure and other services longer term, so we`re hoping things will subside a bit."
Overflowing rivers washed out roads and bridges, soaked homes and turned streets into dirt-brown waterways around southern Alberta. Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt Patricia Neely told reporters three were dead and two bodies were recovered.
The two bodies recovered are the two men who had been seen floating lifeless in the Highwood River near High River on Thursday, she said.
Twenty-five neighborhoods in the city, with an estimated 75,000 people, have already been evacuated due to floodwaters in Calgary, a city of more than a million people that hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics and serves as the center of Canada`s oil industry.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price